ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Richneck Elementary is a neighborhood school that encourages and supports community involvement. The staff and community of Richneck Elementary believe that all children can achieve academic success and become productive citizens. We focus on developing the whole child and offer a comprehensive character education program. We believe in our school's motto, which is that the children of Richneck Elementary will
"Learn Today, Light the Way, Lead Tomorrow."
Richneck has 631 students in 31 classrooms with an average of 20 students in each class. There are 220 students on free or reduced lunch, approximately 70 students are involved in special education classes, and 30 are in the Talented and Gifted program.
Richneck has been fully state accredited for the past 4 consecutive years.
Programs that Support Instruction
Richneck has several programs that support learners:
- Reading Recovery, an intense one-on-one program for beginning readers in first grade.
- Direct Instruction, a fast-paced, highly structured reading program.
- Accelerated Reader program, a computerized reading program in the first - fifth grades.
- Accelerated Math program, a computerized Math program in the third and fifth grades.
- Early Success Reading Program in grade 2.
- Citizenship Program, a program for students to instill the citizenship traits. Students are recognized with a reception, certificate, a pencil, and their photo displayed on a bulletin board.
- Technology is reaching every student through a networked system of 24 iMacs in the computer lab and 72 wireless iBooks on portable carts. We have a full time technology specialist and all teachers are being trained to integrate the equipment and software to enhance student achievement of State Standards of Learning. Richneck also has a state of the art television system, including a live broadcast studio for daily news shows and student productions.
Our staff is active professionally; all staff members participated in the PDI Collaboration and Inclusion Workshop. In addition, our staff is trained in a number of programs that enhance student learning:
- 4MAT, which ensures that teachers can address different learning styles
- Talents Unlimited, designed to foster creative thinking and problem solving
- AIMS, which integrates math and science learning through the use of manipulatives
- Developing Capable People, which helps students realize that they can achieve their goals. Third- through fifth-grade teachers use specific strategies to enhance student reading and writing.
- Thinking Maps and Write From the Beginning, from the Innovative Learning Group, make use of graphical organizers that teach students to organization and develop high level thinking and writing skills.
Richneck students have many opportunities to be involved in activities at Richneck!
- Art Enrichment
- Recorder Club
- PE Enrichment
- Chess Club
- Morning Show Crew
- Odyssey of the Mind - 2006
- Oyster Gardening - 2006 (Fifth grade student are working with our Science Lead teacher to grow oysters that will be deposited into the Chesapeake Bay!)
Our PTA also provides many educational and innovative activities for students throughout the school year.
We work very closely with the community. We have the following Business Partnership:
- McDonald's Restaurant